VOCABULARY
Many times when teaching reading we focus on words within the text being read. However, vocabulary development and instruction involves much more than teaching words within context.
I recently attended a Saturday seminar that featured Dr. Janet Allen. She was an incredible speaker, teacher and motivator! I learned so much more about teaching vocabulary that what I expected I would learn! Here are some of the highlights from what I learned that day.
1. The 4 Steps to teaching and increasing vocabulary in students:
A. Develop Word Consciousness in students. Determine what they know and do not know about a specific word.
B. Give students at least one new word a day to learn and discuss.
C. Teach how to learn new words. Students can learn up to 1,000 new words per year, however, when you increase the reading and increase the diversity of text read, students could learn up to 20,000 words per year! WOW!
D. Increase reading and increase the diversity of text read.
2. Three types of words for kids to learn/collect
A. Words related to content/context
B. Words to develop their writing (ex. next, in order, etc.)
C. Words to make writing/reading more interesting (descriptive words)
3. Literacy involves 2 things -
A. Decoding = breaking apart anything (words, car motor, puzzle)
B. Encoding = demonstrating learning (ex. science lab, dancing, etc)
4. The 4 components of a comprehensive vocabulary program
A. Word Consciousness - seeing vocabulary outside text
B. Teach independent words
C. Increase independent reading
D. Teach strategies for learning new words
Dr. Allen also provided several graphic organizers to use and to help our students along! Amazing day, Amazing teaching, Amazing learning!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=7fER0Dv7ApZwtBKjhFb_kg&cp=3&gs_id=a&xhr=t&q=inside+words&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46471029,d.b2U&biw=1280&bih=907&wrapid=tljp136855323730604&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GHeSUaHWD8Lp8QGzq4H4Aw#imgrc=8UKMBmsPndKKmM%3A%3BkcjlPqeuQfuToM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F2.bp.blogspot.com%252F-g2sk6Jm0fCY%252FTVYYEmOKvwI%252FAAAAAAAAADA%252FT5IOl1k1CKU%252Fs1600%252F1571103996.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Faditamarezki.blogspot.com%252F2011%252F02%252Ftools-for-teaching-academic-vocabulary.html%3B399%3B500
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=7fER0Dv7ApZwtBKjhFb_kg&cp=3&gs_id=a&xhr=t&q=inside+words&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46471029,d.b2U&biw=1280&bih=907&wrapid=tljp136855323730604&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GHeSUaHWD8Lp8QGzq4H4Aw#imgrc=8UKMBmsPndKKmM%3A%3BkcjlPqeuQfuToM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F2.bp.blogspot.com%252F-g2sk6Jm0fCY%252FTVYYEmOKvwI%252FAAAAAAAAADA%252FT5IOl1k1CKU%252Fs1600%252F1571103996.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Faditamarezki.blogspot.com%252F2011%252F02%252Ftools-for-teaching-academic-vocabulary.html%3B399%3B500
No comments:
Post a Comment